Supplemental required application materials that cannot be submitted online (2 recommendation letters, verification of dependency, transcripts) must be postmarked (mail) or faxed by the deadline.
DEADLINE: March 31st, 2015
1871 The Alameda, Suite 335,
San Jose, CA 95126
Step 1: Determine if you are eligible
To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Was a dependent of the court and in an out-of-home foster care placement for at least one day after applicant’s 13th birthday
- Currently/formerly from Santa Clara County child welfare system or currently receiving ILP services from Santa Clara County
- Achieved a minimum (overall) 2.0+ cumulative high school GPA and received your high school diploma or GED or 2.0+ cumulative college GPA
- Demonstrate a commitment and capacity to completing a degree / certificate or meeting college transfer requirements
- Accepted to or attending an accredited college, university, or vocational school for the Fall 2014 academic term
- Completed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if attending college in the Fall and be deemed eligible for all federal and state financial aid
- Have “unmet” financial need or have educational loans that do not exceed the cost of attendance as determined by the campus Financial Aid Office
Step 2: Complete the online application (by March 31st, 2014)
Online application form contains three essays. It is HIGHLY recommended that you type and save your responses to the prompts, then cut/paste the essays into the online form. These essays are a critical part of the application and should be written with thought and care.
Step 3: Submit two recommendation letters (fax or mail/postmarked by March 31st, 2014)
You will need two different people (not related to you) to write you a letter of recommendation. You or your references should fax or mail your letters of recommendation by the deadline.
Step 4: Submit a Dependency Verification Letter (fax or mail/postmarked by March 31st, 2014)
Ask your current county social worker or contact Carla Macias to get a copy of your Dependency Verification Letter. Carla Macias, Santa Clara County ILP Coordinator – Phone: (408) 501-6836(408) 501-6836
Step 5: Submit your transcript (fax or mail/postmarked by March 31st, 2014)
You will need to get your official transcript from each educational institution attended (high school or college).